The Brothers Hotel Historic Stately Residence

The Christian Brothers Order had been on the property at 295 Rattray street since 1876 and the current Stately residence was built in the early 1920's in the area known as the "Vatican" district. At one time the huge residence housed up to 13 Brothers. In March 2005 there were only 4 remaining.

The Christian Brothers for most of its history has been associated with education. In Dunedin it has been involved in Christian Brothers Junior and High schools, St Pauls, St Edmunds and in recent times at Kavanagh College.

 

The Renovation April 2005-Nov 2005

The massive renovation spanned 8 months and entailed, new plumbing with 15 tiled ensuites, new wiring, installation of a central heating system, earth quake proofing and fire rating etc.

The intention was always to retain the original heritage character of the building and being sympathetic to it’s history. Unfortunately the 3rd level of the residence was dramatically altered in the 1950/s with the loss of the three dormer windows in the roof line. The addition of the substantial balustrade and the awnings have gone some way to soften the earlier alterations. We are very pleased with the overall result and we hope you will be too.

1920 Building Dunedin
The Brothers Boutique Hotel 
Heritage building
Brothers Hotel

Built in 1920  and opened on March 8 1921. The back garden has been converted into our 15 space car park. The current breakfast room is where the original Brothers had their Dining room.  The refurbishment took 8 months to complete